Monday, June 20, 2011

My First UFO Sighting




(Top and middle drawing are mine and my daughter's is below)

I have waited patiently for decades hoping to catch a glimpse of one of those extraordinary flying things called UFO's.  I have watched all those cable network documentaries and YouTube videos with seemingly realistic (albeit fuzzy-grained) photos of all kinds of bizarre flying contraptions.  I've listened to all of the government conspiracy and coverup theories, Area 51 pilgrimmages ending at the military perimeters, theories of hidden underground aircraft hangers, technology acquired through cooperative or dead aliens. 

I have spoken to a few people who claim to have actually seen UFOs in the sky and were permanently struck by what they saw because it was so unusual.  I met Travis Walton, the logger featured in the movie "Fire in the Sky," who claims to have actually been inside a UFO and dealt with living aliens.  I have been approached by others who have told me bizarre stories of alien encounters. The stories are always so utterly fantastic that you have no choice but to severely question their sanity.  Some people might find this ironic, but while I have no problem believing in the reality of ghosts, I have never felt I had sufficient evidence (and absolutely no personal experience) to justify a similar belief in UFO's or aliens.

This month, on June 19th, my 18-year-old daughter and I went to the movies.  We went to our local movie theatre in Parsippany, New Jersey, only 5 minutes from home.  When the movie ended, we walked out into the parking lot toward my car.  It was 11:45 pm on a Sunday night and the entire parking lot was empty.  There were no people anywhere.  My daughter suddenly got very excited and told me to look up in the sky toward the eastern horizon.  The night was a very, very black, velvety night with a cloud cover midway in the sky making it appear even darker.  The moon was no where to be seen.

I saw a strange collection of yellow, orange and red lights hovering somewhere between 500-1,000 feet up in the air roughly a half a mile away.  We had a very clear view because we were in a large empty parking lot in a low, flat mall.  At first, the object appeared rather murky.  The lights seemed to reflect in a hazy way off the clouds.  However, the lights created a stationery, massive boomerang shape (not your typical straight-edged flying disk or cigar-shaped object) that appeared, to my best guess, taking into account cloud reflectivity, to be about the size of a baseball field.   It was significantly bigger than any airplane I have ever seen in my life.  It did not move.  There was no noise.  It appeared to hover over one spot.  Now, since I live about 20 minutes from a small airfield, I am accustomed to seeing airplanes which sometimes appear to "hover" as an optical illusion because they are on a trajectory coming straight towards me or straight away from me.  However, we watched this object for just about one minute and the size did not change at all.  There were no blue or greenish lights which would have suggested a regular aircraft.  The wing-like boomerang edges were clearly hunched downward unlike any ordinary plane wings (in fact, the newest airplanes manufactured by the airplane manufacturer where my husband is employed have wing tips that flip upwards toward the end - not downwards).

There emerged out of this hazy, boomerang-shaped object, an exceptionally well-defined,very clear, white, about 10 feet in diameter, that appeared on the right side of this object.  The orb stood still, then moved toward the center.  Then the orb seemed to move around the front center of the stationery boomerang, then disappeared momentarily behind it, then reappeared on the right side.  If this had merely been the reflection of some "headlight" at some point it would have appeared as a long, beam of light and not a perfectly round white orb.  It stayed perfectly circular no matter how it moved.  This was totally bizarre.  What was also strange was that the orb was perfectly defined while the larger boomerang object remained hazy in the clouds. 

After about one minute of watching this object (seemed quite long at the time), and realizing it wasn't moving and wasn't a typical aircraft or even a reflection of lights coming from a radio tower or from the ground, my daughter said, "Look its disappearing!"  Sure enough, it began to disappear - but not in the way that an object moving away from you in the sky normally disappears by getting smaller as it travels away.  This lit object remained exactly the same size and the "wings" of the boomerang shape simply disappeared, as if the object were a telescope closing up, until the outer edges were swallowed up and it imploded until the center finally blipped out into total darkness within 2-3 seconds.  It didn't get smaller, it simply disappeared!

I asked my daughter to make a drawing of what she saw and I also made a drawing.  I wanted to compare what we both saw.  Our drawings appear above.  Mine shows the relative size and distance of the object from our parking lot.  I drew the white orb and with dotted lines, showed where it moved.  I tried to show the haziness of the outline of the boomerang object.  My daughter's drawing is a close-up view of the object.  It is virtually identical to mine.  She drew arrows to show how the white orb moved around the object. 

We called the local police department that night to see if anyone else had seen anything "unusual" in the sky, but alas, no one did.  So, I now feel I have been inducted into the growing elite club of people who have seen a UFO with their own eyes.  But I am just as confused as I was before I saw it - except now I know it's not impossible.

1 comment:

  1. Neat! While I have had A LOT of crazy space dreams in my life, I've never been into UFO's and yet (many years ago) I saw one for myself. It was such a strange feeling to see something like that. Maybe it was some secret government plane/ufo, but this thing disappeared in the blink of an eye. What I saw looked like a gray saucer which had a solid, bright, florescent green 'rope light' wrapped around it's mid-section.

    My brother and his now ex-wife saw a different looking ufo several years later. The weather that evening was strange. A lot of wind and there was this strange electrical charge in the air. What they saw looked like a computer mouse tipped over on it's side, with lights on the underside. They said that when it passed over a string of shops in front of our neighborhood, all the electricity went out.

    Of course, these days my brother refuses to acknowledge that that ever happened.... even though I have he and his wife talking about it on video tape. Lol! He refutes all his past paranormal experiences like that nowadays.

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete