Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Post Script to Ghost Encounters






After I wrote the previous blog "Ghost Encounters," a friend of mine emailed me and said, "Wouldn't it have been funny if you connected with the spirit of Jeb Stuart while you were staying in the Jeb Stuart room at that inn?" I thought about that and suddenly realized that I had assumed (for no obvious reason) that the ghostly presence that appeared about 5 feet from my bed had, in fact, been Jeb Stuart. I don't know why. I just felt that way.


So, I decided to research Jeb Stuart. I was vaguely aware that he had been a Confederate officer who stayed at the inn but I had no clue what he looked like. So I looked up his photo on the internet. Sure enough, in all his photos he appears much as I described this male spirit: angular jaw, medium height, stocky, middle-aged, wearing a long coat and boots. Apparently, he had a flamboyant side and enjoyed wearing his military uniform. Furthermore, I learned that he had died of a gunshot wound in battle in Richmond. He was shot in the stomach and died from bleeding intestines. Suddenly, my image of a nurse spirit that I described as part of my experience as a lay in bed imagining that she was tending to a wound in my stomach, made perfect sense. Apparently, I connected with Jeb Stuart's death...


No comments:

Post a Comment